Monday, May 5, 2008

Disneylend & So. California

We went to California to see my sister and her family. We had such a fun time and thank Deb and Greg for being so welcoming. Adding four more to their house for a week was a bit crazy to say the least, but we had so much fun with them. Greg works for Disney, so we got lots of Disney time in thanks to the benefits they get. Do people really pay what they ask for? I couldn't believe it!!! Besides Disney and the beach, Caden and Ryan hit the pool a few times, Ryan made it to a few of Greg's ward basketball games to play, and we ate at this awesome place called Cherry on Top...self serve frozen yogurt sold by the ounce with every topping you can imagine. You'll have to forgive the number of pictures. How do you narrow them down? We look half asleep in a lot of them, but who doesn't wear themselves out when you are supposed to be relaxing on vacation.

This was the first night there. We went to Disneyland to see the fireworks. I think the tram ride from the parking lot was our kids favorite ride.
Sunday we drove to Laguna Beach. This place was beautiful!!! Sitting high up on the cliffs, the view was amazing. Our kids had the most fun chasing the little bunnies around the park that was next door.
Could I look any more tired?
Monday we took the kids to California Adventures bug area. They have these fun little water fountains that the kids just ran around in for ever. We took their suits and let them at it. Little Max, Deb's baby, was so funny. He found a safe spot in the middle where he didn't' get wet and he didn't' budge. I can't believe I only took this one picture. As soon as I figure out how to post more video, I'll add those too.We went to Newport Beach on Tuesday. The water was cold, but Greg had found this quiet little beach that had parking right close, basketball courts, and beautiful waves. Caden is a water lover and had a blast. Fortunately for me, Avery didn't want to get her feet sandy so she mostly sat on my lap. It made for a relaxing visit. If only I could figure out how to pack a lunch the beach, and eat it without all the extra sand?!?!
Caden and his little buddy Max...he just adores him.
Finally, at the end of the day, she was willing to stand in the sand...shoes on of course.
Rainforest Cafe - this was the happiest the kids were all night. We sat at a table right by a huge elephant and Caden and Max were a little freaked out. Avery, as always, didn't mind. Every time the thunderstorm happened, our table was a little loud with tears and fears. The highlight of the night came when a balloon man came and made whatever we wanted, almost. he did the coolest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for Caden and Princess Aerial for Avery.
Wednesday we had breakfast with Minnie and Friends. Geez, these parks can get people to pay anything. It was worth it though because we didn't have to wait in any lines anywhere through the park for pictures...we got all we wanted here.
Avery dressed like Minnie for the day. She loves Mickey and Minnie more than any little (or big) person I know. Once Minnie walked in the room, I've never seen her so happy. Minnie was so sweet to her and held her for a minute.
Caden didn't care much about any of the characters but Pooh and Eeyore. Although his smile doesn't show it here, he was excited to see him.ToonTown...the cutest little place at the park. Here the kids were taking Mickey's car for a little ride.We finally got to see Mickey...who knew that going into his house would wind around and we'd find him here for a picture.Don't you love the hair. Avery was crazy...dancing her little heart out in the street while we waited for the Pixar Parade at California Adventure.
Waiting for the Pixar Parade.
While walking into the park, Kobe Bryant and his family walked right next to us. I scrambled to get my cameras out...I felt like such a tourist. I looked around and no one else seemed to care or notice that he was standing right there. He was pushing a baby stroller and had a few security with him. It was kind of fun to see him.
Thursday night we walked out to Ruby's on the Pier at Huntington Beach. We'd heard quite a lot about this place and it was fun. The shakes and Parmesan fries were good. It was a beautiful walk out there, and it looked like they had a pro volleyball tournament going on. The stands and advertising banners were all set up for the next day.

Finally, a picture of the kiddos at the end of the week. I can't believe we took one picture of them the day we got there, and one the day we left. I think I consumed my memory catching with our video camera, which of course I can't figure out how to upload here, but we'll take what we got.
Thanks again to Deb, Greg and Max for letting us come. We sure miss you guys, and hope to see you again soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sure miss you guys. It was so much fun to have you all here. I hope we did enough...sorry we didn't get to go to the beach more for Ryan. You'll just have to come back again!

Porter Family said...

I love Ruby's! I had a chocolate shake there when I was ten. My great grandma lived in Seal beach. You guys looked like you had a ton of fun!

Becca Brown said...

What a fun trip!! I'm glad I finally get to see some pictures. I'm happy for you that it went so well & you had such a goo time. We'll have to plan better next time & go together.
Deb would love all 12 of us at her house, huh?

Cala said...

Looks like you guys had tons of fun!! I am jealous!! I can't wait till the boys will be old enough and be able to enjoy Disneyland..

Kristen said...

How fun! Disneyland has become our favorite vacation. I love the pictures of Kobe. When we were down in So. California in the fall, we pulled up to a light right next to Britney Spears. I got my camera out too, and took some pictures. I felt a little bad, but she was also surrounded by paparazzi, so for all she knew, we were just one of them. :)

LauraJ said...

What fun! Disney is the best - right? Cute pictures - it was great to see an update.

Emily C. said...

What a great get away. Exhausting, but so fun...right? Oh the memories! It was fun to see you guys at the park. We were so afraid of the fireworks crowd, we bailed about mid-way through the show. I couldn't imagine fighting my way home with that amount of people, and having 2 kids totally exhausted and cranky. The firworks were good enough for us from our hotel...safe and crowd-free!